Design and Implementation of Operating System Teaching Website
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
In pursuing a computer science degree, a clear understanding of operating systems and the algorithms around them is needed. It is one of the frameworks on which other computer science knowledge is based on. Over time, the instruction of courses like this in the university has been through physical or software document handouts.
The physical nature of this task has made it a bit slow and makes it difficult for progress and milestone to be monitored. As such, a computerized system is hypothetically a good way to speed up this process to be more effective and efficient.
In this project, there will be a software design which can operate with features such as data collection, storage, and retrieval. In summary, we build a web application with the basic features and the interaction between them and then allow it to be used as a basis for more industry level software we can find.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The proposed implementation seeks to understand the learning and instruction methods and project that understanding in the form of a software. There will be some key considerations that will be taken during the implementation of this idea. These considerations include
- A good User Interface and User Experience
- A lesson level tracking feature to monitor progress in particular lessons under the topic of operating systems.
- Feedback mechanisms.
1.3 MOTIVATION OF THE STUDY
The study has its motivations in the fact of the ICT industry being a key part of our everyday life especially in the 21st century. An operating system e-learning platform will help digitize the education sector and especially in the field of computer science and information technology.
1.4 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of the study is to build a web application system which would be effective in storing data and offering instruction in particular subject matter.
The objectives include:
- An extensive study of the literature around the implementations of various online learning platforms.
- Identifying the key areas of operation in related e-learning projects where improvement is needed.
- Design of systems with the potential of proffering solutions to those areas identified in (ii) above.
- Implementation of the designs in (iii) above and providing recommendations for the future.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study is a typical online learning application platform. It will have up to 10 lessons on basic operating system concepts as a test run prototype. This reduced scope is due to the time constraints as well as the tedious nature of implementing such a software for an entire curriculum.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance is such that the study can be added to a long list of research papers that can be referred to, to imbibe the culture of automated systems into our daily educational operations in particular, the operations of learning institutions.
1.7 OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
- E-LEARNING: E-learning refers to electronic learning and is a method of delivery of all or part of a course digitally through the aid of a computer.
- EDUCATION: This a process by which instruction ins given especially at a school or university.
- DISTANCE EDUCATION: Distance Education is defined as instruction between a teacher and students when they are separated by physical distance and communication is accomplished by one or more technological media (American Association of University Professors, 2007; Oregon Network for Education, 2000).
- ONLINE LEARNING: Online learning simply refers to learning that takes place over the internet.
- COMPUTER AIDED INSTRUCTION: What is computer-assisted instruction? “Computer-assisted instruction” (CAI) refers to instruction or remediation presented on a computer
- CURRICULUM: A curriculum is a collection of lessons and assessments that a will be taught in an educational institution by a teacher.
- ONLINE SYSTEMS: Online systems are systems where the input data enter the computer directly from the point of origin (usually a terminal or workstation) and/or in which output data are transmitted directly to that terminal point of origin
1.8 OUTLINE OF METHODOLOGY
The implementation of this idea and project would be achieved using server-side programming language PHP and the MySQL database querying language. These languages were chosen for their server-side compatibility,
1.9 ORGANISATION OF THE PROJECT
The project is organized such that; Chapter One gives a brief introduction in form of the Background of the Study of a general overview of the concept of e-learning worldwide. In Chapter Two, we have a broad look at the related implementations of e-learning information systems. Chapter Three examines the System Architecture, the system design and analysis. Chapter Four presents the implementation of the project using necessary programming languages and development models. It also presents the result of testing carried out. Chapter Five rounds off the project work with the summary, conclusions, and recommendations for future works.[email protected][email protected]