The modern industrial world is very much advanced in technology and competition in the world is intense. The user of a computer is provided with the HARDWARE and SOFTWARE, the two source of the computer. Much of the software will be programs which facilities the fast automatic management of the computer system resource.
1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
“Stock Management System” is one can go into almost required solution regarding the stock. This software package provides guidance for all the stock management purpose, as a perfect guide, the current demand for such software became needful. This project will provide for computerization of a small enterprise whose main goal is to keep track on their inventory and stock process and wants to change from paper based transaction to computerized transaction.
For optimal stock management processes, you need robust functionality for managing your logistics facilities. Support for stock management helps you record and track materials on the basis of both quantity and value.
stock management functions cover internal warehouse movements and storage.
Using this software we can reduce costs for warehousing, transportation, order fulfillment, and material handling while improving customer service.
You can significantly improve inventory turns, optimize the flow of goods, and shorten routes within your warehouse or distribution center. Additional benefits of stock management include improved cash flow, visibility, and decision making.
This software is user friendly and hence easy to use.
Employees can plan, enter, and document warehouse and internal stock movements by goods issues, storage, picking and packing, physical stock transfers, and transfer postings.
1.2. STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Manual system are quite tedious time consuming and less efficient and accurate in comparison to the computerized system.
So following are some disadvantages of the old system:
1. Slow data processing
2. Lot of paper work
3. Time consuming
4. Less accurate
5. Less efficient
6. Lot of paper work
7. Slow data processing
8. Not user friendly environment
9. Difficult to keep old records
1.3. AIMS OF THE STUDY
The aims of the study include the following:
1. To design a computer driven stock management system
2. To make sure there is good and accurate record
3. To enhance the effectiveness of staff
4. To generate report on every goods in stock
5. To keep track of goods in terms of quantity
1.4 . OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The project is designed to help in the stock control. The main objective of the new system includes:
1. Design a computer – driven stock management system to keep record and track materials on the basis of both quantity and value.
2. To generate reports on all the activities
3. Design and develop a central database system that would serve as database, which will contain information all the stock.
1.5. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The new system designed for computer driven payroll system will among other things:
1. Financial records specific to a single component, or groups of components. Service records for all components in the stock management system.
2. Up-to-date information about data processing resources through the creation and archiving of records in a centralized repository.
3. Data used to support configuration diagrams of the hardware and software components contained within specific locations, or the entire data processing environment.
1.6. SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this system is to provide user efficient working environment and more output can be generated through this. This system provides user friendly interface resulting in knowing each and every usability features of the system.
This system helps in tracking records so that past records can be verified through them and one can make decisions based on the past records. This system completes the work in a very less time resulting in less time consumption and high level of efficiency.
This system is developed in such a way that even a naïve user can also operate the system easily. The calculations are made very quickly and the records are directly saved into databases and the databases can be maintained for a longer period of time. Each record can be retrieved and can be verified for the future transactions.
Also this system provides high level of security for data leaking as only admin people can access the database no changes can be made in it until it verifies the user login id and password.
The research will be carried out using OGUN STATE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, IGBESA AUDIT DEPARTMENT.
The constraints encountered during this project design include the following:
1. Financial Constraints: The design was achieved but not without some financial involvements. One had to pay for the computer time. Also the typing and planning of the work has its own financial involvements.
2. High programming Technique: The programming aspect of this project posed a lot of problematic bugs that took us some days to solve. Problems such database connections using PHP and MYSQL database posed a lot of challenges.
3. Few Literature Sources: The topic though seems to be a common term; it is not a popular topic to surf from the Internet. It had fewer literature sources.
1.8. DEFINATION OF TERMS
1. AUDIT: An official inspection of an organization’s accounts, typically by an independent body.
2. STOCK: The goods or merchandise kept on the premises of a shop or warehouse and available for sale or distribution.
3. MANAGEMENT: The process of dealing with or controlling things or people.
4. SYSTEM: A set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.
5. PHP: is a script language and interpreter that is freely available and used primarily on Linux Web servers. PHP, originally derived from Personal Home Page Tools, now stands for PHP: Hypertext Pre-processor, which the PHP FAQ describes as a “recursive acronym.”
6. MY SQL: is a popular choice of database for use in web applications, and is a central component of the widely used LAMP open-source web application software stack (and other “AMP” stacks). LAMP is an acronym for “Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python”