Poverty had constituted a major social problem in our society particularly in rural areas. The society has not given serious thought as to what causes rural poverty and it’s effects on the rural inhabitants and how this problem could be solved.
The presence of poverty in the rural areas must be just because it is less visible or something on an not feel or tocuch and less documented. If there were no rural poverty there would be fewer migrants to the urban centers therefore poverty has been responsible for human distress like famine which has led many persons to come to nothing, not much has been devoted to the study of poverty as it is done to other social problems such as crime and divorce. It is on to note that the writer is going to focus his attention on poverty.
Poverty linked to other social problem in both causes and effects. It is believed that majority of the people are form the poorest section of the community and that poverty lead people to crime. Also employment and inadequate health service are the peasants major problems.
Industries are scarce in Gboko, hence the people are handicapped in finding jobs. In addition the people lack the basic skills necessary for industries employment so they are compelled to go into subsistence farming.
Even the rural people who have the greatest need for health service are allocated with clinics which hardly meet their needs.
The researcher is of the view that rural poverty is responsible for rural urban migration.
This study is not examining or suggesting a rural social change as found in societies or communities societies like clinic, rather it will focus on attentive model, of rural development in a capitalist system as done in America (USA). The researcher is not assuming that this is the best way to solve the problem of poverty . but he has chosen it because it is in practice in Nigeria and has not been experimented long enough assessed and found wanting mere so, other models adopted in other countries have not addressed the ideal result as well.
1.1 GENERAL BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Gboko Local Government Area is situated in the South East part of Benue State, the local government was created in 1951 by then.
The local government is blessed with mineral resources including limestone, lay etc.
The people of the local government are more of farmers producing crops such as rice, soyabeans, yam etc.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Rural poverty is looked upon by different individual and groups in various ways. It has been seen as a problem which is to be solved by the government and perhaps individuals or groups rather people look at poverty as a disgrace.
Poverty has been with us for quite a long time not only in Gboko local government area, where the study is being conducted but the entire nation.
Infact, so much has been written on the course and effects of this phenomenon in our contemporary society. Most of those writers concentrated their finding and writing at glance but as social human interest the problem still worries my mind even for that I want to carry out a research into the following?
1. What effects has the poverty in those in rural area?
2. What brought about poverty at the grass root level?
3. How can this problem be solved.
1.3 STATEMENT OF HYPOTHESIS
The statement of the problem associated with rural poverty includes:
i. Disease on the increase in the rural areas as a result of poverty.
ii. Nature and artificial disaster such as a drought and erosion contribute to rural poverty.
iii. Law productivity and famine also make the rural populace to be poor.
iv. Insufficient medical care services such as clinics in most of the council wards in the local government.
v. Inadequate good roads and electricity contribute to rural poverty.
vi. Under and unemployment make rural people to be poor.
vii. Ignorance and lack of good access to education.
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The major objective this study are:
1. To remove the misconception in many circle in developing economic that poverty is for the poor people.
2. The rural area, that study poor are as a result of urban bias by government and investors.
3. To determine the possible way of alleviating poverty in our societies.
4. To provide suggestion on ways of enhancing a high standard of living of the rural people.
5. To ascertain the level of poverty in our societies.
6. Finally to provide guide for other researchers who may wish to write on the related topic.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This case study, the effect of poverty on rural people of Gboko local government has the following significance.
The causes of poverty such as of insufficient jobs opportunities.
The recommendation which if implemented will help government design policies that will alleviate rural poverty.
To serve as source data for future researchers who may carryout studies in similar field.
I am limiting the study on Gboko local government particularly to the five (5) council wards which include Mbatiav, Mbatyerev, Mbayion, Ipav and Yandev.
This limitation is because of the following problems first and famous, is the time factor everybody will agree with the writer that the period of this study is too short to carryout a study work with the entire local government, secondly finance will be another problem, that is money will not be easy available and not under one’s central. Thirdly, transportation will also be another problem it will not be easy to cover all the study area, most of the people who are to be interviewed are staying every for apart and it will not be easy to see them. Despite all these latches, the study will be conducted with help of others who are ready to cooperate with me to achieve my objectives.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
For the purpose of this study the following terms are defined below:
1. POVERTY: This means on individual who lack the resources to obtain the type of diets participate in the social activities and have the living conditions and amenities which are necessary for good living.
2. RURAL AREA: It is an area with a low population density of less them 20.00 inhabitants per two scarce Km with less social amenities.
3. Moral poverty will accept the situation as it is because he or she cannot do something about it.
4. SOCIAL PROBLEM: This is the lack of such social amenities of electricity pipe borne water etc.
5. Alleviating rural poverty change or bringing out a situation to moral poverty.
6. Co-operative society joining hands together which bring about changes in the society or community.
7. INSUFFICIENT INCOME: This is countries that lack employment or steady employment or lack of any other productive activity.
Low earning poverty is simply the result of temporary employment and insufficient means to meet family needs.[email protected][email protected]